“To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself.” ~Thich Nhat Hanh
I read this somewhere whilst searching the internet and I immediately stopped clicking any further.
Truly speaking I will admit the statement caused me to smile and maybe even whispered a small chuckle. I wondered how my students would react if I walked into class one morning and uttered these words. I mean even as old as i am, these words are true to the ear but not practical. This is by far the hardest principle to live in today’s ages and even harder for teenagers. Though the statement bears truth, some aspects are not as easy as it sounds.
To be beautiful means to be yourself. Being yourself is not the easiest of thing to do. How many of us really can say we are ourselves at all times. We all live a life of trying to impress,. We long to be accepted, so some of us we lie our way into a click. All this because somehow we have convinced our-self “we are not good enough”. How then can I begin love myself, let alone acknowledge I am beautiful?
This is how, Improve your inner voice by thinking positively and avoiding perfectionism. Don’t call yourself names or assume the worst. Exercise self-love by listing your positive attributes and reflecting on them daily. Consider visiting a therapist. Repeat positive affirmations daily and do things you enjoy.
- Let go of negative thoughts about yourself.
- Stop pursuing perfectionism and feeling negatively about yourself.
- Stop focusing only on the negatives in your life or less favorable events in your life; it is very unlikely that everything is really bad.
- Never call yourself names
- Do not assume the worst can happen
- When you realize that you are thinking negatively for yourself, acknowledge the feeling, identify the source of the feeling, and then consciously make a new statement re-writing your thought as a more positive one
- List your positive attributes and reflect on them daily
- Give yourself the gift of time. Do not feel guilty for spending time thinking about and reflecting on yourself and your own life.
- Celebrate and reward yourself. Think of all of the hard work you do every day, and find a reason to reward yourself with something nice.
- Do things that make you feel good.
Remember, “to be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself”.